Sunday, July 28, 2013

On the 28th anniversary of his detention

As translated by Shahd Abusalama, a young palestinian blogger.

Very touching words written by the hero Walid Daqqa, one of the most intellectual Palestinian authors in Israeli prisons who forms a source of inspiration of many youth inside and outside jail, including me. He wrote this arabic piece that I am sharing below today as he starts his 28th year in imprisonment. The following is my translation of his moving piece. Please share to let the word know that Walid Daqqa isn't just a number, but he's a beautiful soul who can teach the whole world humanity.


"Today I acknowledge at the 28th anniversary of my detention, that my heart has never known hatred, nor I have mastered the toughness and the crudeness that prison life imposes on one. 
I further admit that I still rejoice and feel as happy as a kid for the simplest things, and I feel filled with joy for receiving a little compliment or hearing a nice word.
 I admit that my heart leaps up for glancing a flower, the sea, or any scene of nature on TV. I admit that I am happy despite everything, and I don't miss any of life luxuries.
 I only miss two scenes: the children and the workers. I miss those glimpses of children gushing out of all alleys of the village, heading to their schools in the morning, and the scene of workers as they are coming from all neighborhood very early in a foggy cold morning, enthusiastic while they head to the city centre, getting ready to travel to their work places.
 I admit all these sentiments and all this love was never to remain without the love of my mother Farida, my wife Sanaa, my brother Hussny, and the support of all of my family, friends, and beloved ones to me. For them I admit that I am still a human embracing the love in my heart and holding it as it was a flamed stone. I promise you I will remain steadfast with this love. I will keep loving you dearly as my love is my only humble victory against my jailer."

No comments:

Post a Comment